What is zip and why unzipping is needed.
Zip files are created by compressing single or multiple files into a zip formatted file. They need to be extracted before using them.
The files within the zip can be executed directly from there, but they will load into your memory (RAM), this is not a good practice because if the computer has low memory the process will be very slow.
Also, if any large change is made in zip file, it will take more time than usual to accommodate that changes in zip.
In this guide, you will learn about different methods to unzip file on Windows.
How to Unzip in Windows
Follow these steps to unzip using windows built in zip extractor.
- Locate the zip file which you want to extract its contents.
- Double click on it, it will open the zip file showing its contents.
- If you want to extract all the contents of zip file, right click on it without opening it, and click on Extract. It will extract all the contents of the zip file in the current working directory.
- If you want to extract selected files, then open zip file and select the files by pressing CTRL + Left Click. And then drag them outside the folder to the location to which you want them to extract.
Note: If you save encrypted files in zip, then upon unzipping them, they will be unencrypted which may result in loss of your security for important data. So, avoid zipping encrypted files.
How to unzip in windows using WinRAR
Follow these steps if you are not comfortable with windows unzipping. We will use third party software called WinRAR.
Before starting, make sure that you have downloaded and installed WinRAR in your PC. If not you can download it from here
- Locate the files which you want to extract.
- Select the files if you want to extract multiple files.
- Else if there is a single file, right click on it. And skip step 2.
- After selecting files, and right clicking, you will see a menu, from that menu, click on any of the following option.
Extract Here: It will extract files in the same directory as of the zip file.
Extract to “filename”: It will extract the files in a folder having the same name as of the zip file.
- If you want to extract selective files using WinRAR, open the zip using WinRAR, select files, and click on Extract from the top menu bar.
How to Unzip in windows using WinZip
Make sure you have WinZip installed in your PC. If not, go download from here and install before the steps.
- Open WinZip, and click on File->Open.
- Choose desired file with zip extension.
- Select all or multiple files from the contents within the zip.
- Click on Unzip to. Navigate to location where you want to extract. You can also extract on cloud storage.
- Click Unzip. And you are done.